Friday 1 February 2008

Some more benchmarks

I found some more benchmarks to work from. This time it's games characters and their level of detail. I'm only using two for this, one is age of empire 3 and the other if UFO afterlight.

This shot is from UFO Afterlight and I am using this as a benchmark for knowing what I would like to do BETTER than. I Do'nt like the level of detial on this character at all. I realise that it is emant ot be colourful and cartoony (which I don't think fits the type of genre at all - but that's a different story) but the quality, in my opinion is just terrible. For a fairly modern game it is like stepping into the past.. which is exactly the OPPOSITE of what I am trying to do. Therefore, this benchmark will come in handy for knowing what to do better than.



This picture is from Age of Empires 3 and I love it! Although it doesn't really seem it, the poly count (I think) is actually pretty low. The thing about it that gives it it's great aesthetics is of course its texturing (something not focused much in UFO Afterlight). Using this as a benchmark for my low poly characters, I think, is perfect and is exactly what I will try to match or possibly do better than. (r at least try :P)

No comments: